Sunday 8:20 am – Traditional Worship
Sunday 9:40 am – Contemporary Worship
Sunday 11:00 am – Contemporary Worship
Sunday 9:40 & 11 am – Sunday School for all ages
Wednesday during school year 6:30 pm
Rock-Us youth group for grades 6-12
Family night at the church for all ages
Secret Kingdom K-5 at the church
The first church was started some time after 1750 from a land grant from John Penn on 1 3/4 acres. The first Lutheran log church was dedicated on November 6, 1756. It was later burned down by Indians. A secong log church was built in 1769. In 1826, the Reformed Congregation started to hold services in the church, and in October 1832, it became known as St. Paul’s Union Church. On April 29, 1832, a new stone church was built, which is still part of the present church. In June 1929, an additional 20 feet was added and the interior remodeled. The Church was incorporated in 1960. On December 8, 1964, The U.C.C. congregation dissolved. The Christian Education Addition was completed in 1972.
Legend has it, the name, “Smoke Church,” originated from the members of the congregation sitting and smoking while waiting for the circuit preacher, who was often late due to bad roads. When the minister arrived, smoking ceased and people became attentive to God’s Word.
The parish was established in 1854 by Saint John Neumann, then the Bishop of Philadelphia. Bishop Neumann blessed the original church, located on State Street in Hamburg. On December 8, 2000, a new church was dedicated, located off Old Route 22 on Walnut Road in Tilden Township, west of the borough.
Numerous artifacts taken from the old church have been incorporated into the new church